Friday, July 16, 2010

My Demon Chihuahua is...a Duck?!

For those who don't know, I own a Demon Chihuahua. I say this because she is most calculating little creature that I know.

I admit that back in the day, I was not too crazy about chihuahuas. I thought them to be rather unattractive dogs with bulging bug eyes that only prissy rich girls owned. I did not picture myself sporting a dog as an accessory à la Paris Hilton.

I'm sure that most of us are familiar with the stereotype that chihuahuas are little hyperactive mutant rats with a high-pitched bark that sounds more like a squeaky chewtoy. They also nervously shiver for no apparent reason.

I really never pictured myself with a chihuahua because I never wanted one. Beurk.

So, how I earth did my family succumb to owning one?

My family ended up with Maddie through a family friend. This friend had a friend who knew a grandmother who had given her grandson a pet chihuahua for Christmas; he turned out to be allergic to dogs. This telephone game eventually ended in her needing a good home. One Saturday afternoon, the family friend went to visit the friend of the grandmother at her Miami Beach apartment.

I don't want to get smarmy on you guys but it honestly was love at first sight.


I had the revelation that a chihuahua is a dog just like any other, and I now feel remorse for having thought any other way about them. I've observed that Maddie rarely gets shake attacks. If she does, its only when she faces a situation in which she feels threatened or out of her zone (like getting a bath). And I am glad to report that her bark is far from being a squeak toy; it actually sounds like a real I'm-a-dog-be-scared-of-me bark.
Yet since I got her a couple of years ago, I've wonder if Maddie is only a dog.

She has a strange quirk that has bothered me ever since I got her. When she becomes overly excited, she begins to hyperventilate in a manner that suggests she will soon hock up a furball. The sound itself strangely resembles a quack. I've only seen this behavior displayed in another chihuahua as well.





I've just learned to accept it. What can I do?


As a treat, I will share with you guys an authentic, totally undoctored* photo of the infamous Demon Chihuahua.


Voilà:


There she is. Scheming on the rug next to my bed. Doesn't she strike absolute terror into your quivering heartstrings?



* Okay, I made some minor adjustments.



Barb the French Bean

7 comments:

  1. got to say they dont usually look that cute

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the widow. You got a cute one. But then again arent the cutest....the most evil? :-O

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! ^.^

    And, yes, Eden, appearances can be very, very deceiving...>:-)

    -French Bean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute. I am seeing a pattern. My girls have been described as demons in fur coats. Both although my black and tan furry friend more often do the duck quack as you describe it. I had thought it was quite oink like and often tell them its like walking a pig. It is an over excitment thing, if you put the palm of your hand over the nose for a few seconds they normally stop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to try that the next time Maddie starts quacking. Normally, I have to stroke her on the back until she calms down.

    -French Bean

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really very cute.I have to stroke her on the back until she calms down.beautiful post..thanks for sharing here..
    miami beach condos

    ReplyDelete

Apparently, leaving comments on this blog is a hit-or-miss game of Russian roulette: you are either lucky and can comment away, or you are required to log in when the settings are CLEARLY set to allow trouble-free commenting (sorry 'bout that, folks). If anything, the Facebook page is always a viable option. :) -Barb